Hyundai just unveiled a redesigned Elantra compact sedan. The new model features a bold design and many technological features. The new 2021 model is the seventh generation of the Elantra. Hyundai also unveiled the first ever Elantra Hybrid.
The design of the new Elantra is very different than other cars in its segment. It has what Hyundai calls a “parametric-jewel body surface” on the side of the vehicle. The design has many triangles and and sharp edges, a design tactic that designers usually avoid. It is not as extreme as the Tesla Cybertruck, but it stands out enough to get people’s attention.
The front of the Elantra has a new “jewel pattern grille” with turn signal indicators integrated into the grille. It also has aggressive LED headlights. The back of the car has a long horizontal LED light bar that runs the width of the rear. At the ends of the light bar, there are small vertical lights that connect to the horizontal bar to create something that looks like the letter “H”. The “H” is for Hyundai.
Not only is the new design stunning, but the proportions of the Elantra are different too! The new Elantra is longer, lower, and wider than the the previous generation. It grows 2.2 inches longer, 1 inch wider, and 0.8 inch lower. It is one of the longest vehicles in its class, only second to the Volkswagen Jetta. Hyundai even claims it has more rear legroom than an Audi A7! It seems if Hyundai engineers and designers tried as hard as possible to make the Elantra more like a sporty 4-door coupe. They wanted it to look very appealing to new customers. After all, the Elantra is one of Hyundai’s best selling vehicles.
The interior has an all new design and layout. The new setup surrounds the driver with controls, similar to the cockpit of an airplane. The interior has two 10.5 inch horizontal screens that are connected. Hyundai says that the angled touch screen is easy for the driver to see.
For the first time ever, the Hyundai Elantra has a hybrid model. The Hybrid has more than 50 mpg combined with gas and electric. It has a 1.32 kWh battery under the rear seats.
Here are the highlights of the new Elantra:
- An all-new seventh-generation Elantra compact sedan with new vehicle platform
- Longer wheelbase, wider stance, lower roofline
- Elantra is called the Avante in the Korean domestic market
- Second Hyundai vehicle with Sensuous Sportiness design identity
- An everyday exotic four-door-coupe look with innovative molding and engineering technology
- First-ever Elantra Hybrid
- More than 50 MPG estimated combined fuel economy on hybrid model
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto make connecting easy
- Hyundai’s optional Digital Key allows Elantra to be unlocked, started and driven without a physical key via a smartphone or NFC card
- Production to begin at Ulsan, Korea and at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama in the fall with shipments to dealers in the fourth quarter
- An enhanced natural-language voice-recognition system with Speech-to-Meaning and Deep Meaning Understanding technologies and lots of feature controls
- Standard SmartSense safety and convenience technologies
- Two available 10.25-inch multimedia screens under one piece of glass
I put together some videos of the Elantra below for you to watch:
Hyundai has achieved their goal of making the Elantra more upscale. It has features that used to be exclusive to luxury vehicles. It is clearly the best vehicle in its segment. What do you think?